It's that time of year again and Cold & Flu will be here before we know it. Some of you may already be experiencing this unpleasantness. Now is the time to take preventative measures to keep families healthy this winter.
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. These are simply home remedies that I have researched on my own and applied to my family for health and wellness. I have included links to scientific research that you may read for more information.
A BIG part of staying healthy is lifestyle, so I always start there first. Simple changes to your daily routine such as proper hygiene, water intake, adequate rest, exercise, and dietary changes go a long way in keeping you healthy.
Below are my TOP go-to supplements for cold & flu season. All products* mentioned are liquid or chewable so they can be taken by children as well.
1. Elderberry Syrup - This is the #1 item I recommend. It has amazing immune boosting properties! It has been shown to both shorten and relieve the symptoms of the flu.
2. Vitamins - Vitamin D has been shown to decrease upper respiratory infections and Vitamin C has demonstrated anti-viral properties. Research also shows that Zinc can shorten cold symptoms by 40% and reduce antibiotic use.
3. Herbs - Astragalus & Echinacea are the way to go here. These two herbs enhance the immune system and increase white blood cells which fight off bacteria and viruses. This combo tincture is great!
4. Essential Oils - If you can only get one essential oil, it needs to be lavender. It has both antiviral and antibacterial properties. Plus, it helps you sleep at night. If you can add others, I would recommend Germ Fighter for purifying and Immune Aid for boosting your system. These pre-diluted roller balls are great to take with you everywhere!
5. Probiotic - It has been said that disease starts in the gut (Hippocrates). The best way to counteract the bad bacteria is by making sure you have plenty of good bacteria. A good probiotic also reduces inflammation in the body.
But, Wait! There's more...
BONUS ITEM # 1: Local, raw honey - This item is not available on Amazon but if you can find it locally, stock up. Not only does it help with allergies but it is full of vitamins and antioxidants. It's also really helpful for soothing a sore throat or cough.
BONUS ITEM #2: Colloidal Silver - This is a new item that I've added to our medicine chest. I don't take it daily but will take it at the first sign of symptoms. It's been touted as a natural antibiotic. It's controversial in the medical community but most natural options are.
Those are my top recommended items for every household this cold & flu season. I think you will find that your family stays healthier and recovers quicker by using these natural methods.
*Amazon links are included for easy ordering. Please note that these are affiliate links.